45° Littleton, CO
The Student News Site of Valor Christian High School

Valor Eagle Eye

Valor Eagle Eye

Valor Eagle Eye

Arts Admission Process

The college admissions process stands as a pivotal milestone for all high school students, marking a critical point in their academic journeys. For many, college represents a time of exploration, a chance to delve into their interests and passions. However, the process of getting to a dream college for an art focused student can be more involved. 

“There’s one step or two and sometimes three different steps beyond the regular admissions process,” Sheri Magehee, Valor art Conservatory academic counselor, explains, “and [for a performing artist] an extra step can look like submitting a pre-screen.”

Sam Shallow, Senior and member of Valor performing art Conservatory at Valor says, “First, you have to apply to a school and get into the academic program, and then you have to submit a pre-screen, which is like an audition to audition.”

However, performing artists are not the only artists to face a more in depth application. Visual arts students face a different challenge, often undergoing a rigorous portfolio review. All of the extra pieces of an application can cause a lot of pressure and stress on high school artists. “Submitting a pre-screen is only the first step in a long college audition process,” says Magehee, “If you don’t pass the pre-screen, you don’t get to audition.”

Given the extra challenges of an artistic application, Magehee recommends starting the college search early for high school artists and sometimes even as early as sophomore year. “You really need to start digging and looking at colleges,” shares Magehee and additionally she stresses the importance of visiting campus to get the feel for each respective school.

Not only can the start time be earlier for the search process, but also the number of schools can be higher: “Some of my musical theater students apply to beyond 20 schools,” says Magehee. “While it’s not always recommended, it’s broader than a typical application.”

The Arts admissions process may involve more moving parts and complexities, with proper planning and resilience, aspiring artists and performers can navigate this challenging journey toward their dream colleges and programs. 

Watch full story here:

Donate to Valor Eagle Eye

Your donation will support the student journalists of Valor Christian High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.