45° Littleton, CO
The Student News Site of Valor Christian High School

Valor Eagle Eye

Valor Eagle Eye

Valor Eagle Eye

An Inside Look Into Valor Theatre’s Audition Process

For an extensive period of time, the audition process for Valor’s show-stopping musicals has been shrouded in mystery.

Joining Eagle Eye Media is Nicole Carlson, an instructor of theatre arts here at Valor, and one of the directors for the upcoming Fall Musical, Holiday Inn.

Valor Christian High School Production of “Hello Girls” 2021

For auditions, students are required to prepare any number of combinations of songs and monologues. Although, specific requirements may vary based on the show. For this year’s Holiday Inn, students were provided with cuts of songs from the musical and asked to prepare two of them for their audition. They were also given a list of monologues from various characters in the show to choose from, and presented one.

Another piece of the audition process is movement. For a show like Holiday Inn, dance is extremely important and must be taken into consideration. Not only for the lively ensemble, but also for the leads, as all of the characters are incredibly strong dancers.

So a second round of auditions was needed, students came in and were taught a section of choreography and received scores based on their learning and showmanship. This is an extremely important step in the process for every member of the show, as dance skill is essential to the lifeblood of the performance.

Finally, callbacks took place. Where a certain number of students were called back to perform scenes, sing songs, and learn partner dance choreography. Callbacks are typically only held for the lead roles, so they are absolutely essential to ensure that the casting is as good as it can be. Then after all of that, the show is casted and rehearsals are underway!

Come see Holiday Inn at the Valor Center November 3rd, 4th, 9th, 10th, and 11th!

Watch The Interview:

Donate to Valor Eagle Eye

Your donation will support the student journalists of Valor Christian High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.